I am back with another simple, versatile meal idea that can be shared with the new mamas and papas in your life. Similar to the Chicken Sandwiches this meal is easy to make ahead, and is easy to double so that you can make food for your family at the same time! We all have to eat, right? The endless array of taco options makes this a great choice for families with specific dietary preferences or restrictions. You can make these gluten-free, dairy-free, meat-free, you name it. With fresh veggies coming our way, you can throw in whatever is in season, and in your fridge!
The basic supplies that you will need for a good taco kit are:
- Taco “shells” of some sort.
- Flour or corn tortillas are always a good choice. If I don’t know the family’s tortilla preference I will often provide both. Our family is split on this issue, and I assume we are not the only ones!
- Lettuce leaves are a great grain-free, unprocessed option, and they add some nice color and crunch! I buy Romaine Hearts for this, as they are pretty sturdy. Wash and dry them ahead of time so you are not delivering soggy tacos.
- Chips and Salsa
- If you want to add a little flair to your rice, I like this recipe for a simple and delicious side
- Basic rice also works well!
- diced tomato
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Prepared Filling
Once everything is prepared you can pack it up, label it, and you are ready to go!
This meal is simple, fresh, and filling! Add in whatever extras you feel like: Dessert, breakfast for the next morning, healthy snacks. Food is always a welcome gift!
Note: I am not normally an advocate for disposable containers, but when bringing meals to totally exhausted people it is great to eliminate the need for them to wash dishes. I try to use containers that they may be able to use again, but that I don’t care about getting back. Recycled yogurt or takeout containers come in very handy for this type of thing, so I am often saving them when I know that friends or family are going to be in need of some deliciousness soon.
Stay tuned: I will be back with more meal ideas soon!